Linear and Multilinear Algebra (FA23)
- Lectures: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, block 12 (12:50 - 1:55 p.m.)
- x-period: Tuesday, block 12X (1:20 - 2:10 p.m.)
- Dates: 11 September 2023 - 14 November 2023
- Room: Kemeny 343
- Instructor: John Voight
- Instructor office: Kemeny 341
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office hours:
- Wednesdays, 8:30-9:30 a.m.,
- during x-hour, or
- please make an appointment by email!
- Course Web Page: https://canvas.dartmouth.edu/courses/60492/
- Prerequisites: A previous course in undergraduate algebra is strongly recommended.
- Required Text: David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, Abstract algebra, 3rd ed., Wiley, 2003; see their errata.
- Recommended Texts:
- Grading: Grade will be based on daily homework, weekly homework, and a final exam.
Course Catalogue Description:
This course treats the subject of linear and multilinear algebra from an abstract point of view. Topics include bilinear forms, tensor products, algebras over a field, symmetric and exterior powers, and universal properties. Applications include the representation and character theory of finite groups.
See the official syllabus.
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.