- Lectures: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, block 10 (10:10 - 11:15 a.m.)
- x-period: Thursday, block 10X (12:15 - 1:05 p.m.)
- Dates: 12 September 2022 - 14 November 2022
- Room: Kemeny 108
- Instructor: John Voight
- Instructor office: Kemeny 341
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Office hours:
- Mondays, 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.,
- Wednesdays, 9:00 - 10:00 a.m.,
- during x-hour (when not otherwise scheduled), or
- please make an appointment by email!
- Course Web Page: https://canvas.dartmouth.edu/courses/54929 (or http://www.math.dartmouth.edu/~m71f22/ redirects)
- Prerequisites: Math 22 or 24. If you are unsure about your preparation, please talk to the instructor!
- Required Text: David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, Abstract algebra, 3rd ed., 2003. See errata.
- Grading: Grade will be based on daily classwork, weekly homework, an in-class short exam, two flex problems, and an in-class comprehensive final exam.
Course Catalogue Description:
The sequence MATH 71 and 81 is intended as an introduction to abstract algebra. MATH 71 develops basic theorems on groups, rings, fields, and vector spaces.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Understand of the basic structures of algebra: define terms, explain their significance, and apply them in context;
- Solve mathematical problems: utilize abstraction and think creatively;
- Write clear mathematical proofs: recognize and construct mathematically rigorous arguments.
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.